Behavior Analysts of West Michigan
Design Awards / Behavior Analysts of West Michigan
Small Commercial Design: 2018 Winner
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
The project is a privately owned treatment center practicing applied behavior therapy for children with cognitive disabilities, particularly autism. The Owner’s philosophy of behavior therapy specifically avoids soothing the environment and instead stimulates clients with simulated real-world conditions.
- Project budget of $110/SF (2017 dollars)
- Relatively small site for the program requirements and storm water control with a very limited buildable area.
- Program includes a receiving area, offices, meeting room, several therapy rooms, a multi-purpose cafeteria, a puppy room, and a simulated apartment for teaching living skills.
- Concurrently cultivating independence while maintaining high visibility between therapists and children.
- The plan is an “L” with gathering spaces in the south wing and treatment spaces in the north, sheltering an outdoor therapeutic playground. A sensory stimulus ramp connects the wings and floor levels.
- Throughout the building, a wide range of color, materials, hardware, textures, and equipment controls are provided to aid therapists in teaching their clients to navigate a variety of conditions and experiences. Materials are utilized in their off-the-shelf, raw state to control costs and foster creativity.
- Vegetated roofs and underground storm water detention mitigate site constraints. Existing mature trees were maintained wherever possible.
Initiation: January 2016
Completion: June 2017