Location: Grand Rapids, MI
The complete restoration and rehabilitation of two modest commercial buildings, vacant since the 1980's, located on a commercial corridor at the convergence of two urban historic districts. The buildings were originally constructed in the late 1880's and the project qualified for Historic Tax Credits, Brownfield Tax Credits and, at the time of completion, was located in a Renaissance Zone.
Provided architectural services that encompassed a complete rehabilitation of the exterior of the buildings including repair and restoration of damaged storefronts, removal of non-contributing additions, window rehabilitation and new window installation and re-pointing of deteriorated masonry.
Facilitated the re-establishment and reconstruction of the four street level retail spaces and the four upper floor residences, with all but one space leased prior to construction completion. Previously
gutted interior spaces were completely renovated into modern rental units. Collaborated with historic preservation consultant and State Historic Preservation Office to ensure that the design and construction was consistent with local and state historic guidelines and tax credit requirements.
Due to the unfortunate economic climate the team worked with two different developers and two different contractors during the project duration, This caused significant delays in the project implementation.