The Master of Architecture Degree at Kendall College of Art and Design has been a long time coming, but now it is rushing forward and arriving soon. Here is the quick version of what has happened since last September:
- September 3, 2013 - The application for initial accreditation of the KCAD MArch was submitted to the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB).
- September 24, 2013 – The KCAD Academic Senate overwhelmingly approved the new MArch degree.
- December 10, 2013 – NAAB made its first visit to KCAD and came away very positively impressed.
- December 13, 2013 – The Ferris Trustees unanimously approved the new KCAD MArch. At that point we were free to actively recruit and take applications for the program.
- January 30, 2014 – We held an open house in a blizzard for interested MArch students. Over 80 showed up!
- February 22, 2014 – The NAAB Board officially approved our application for initial accreditation! The NAAB process has officially begun.
- March 13, 2014 – Admission letters and financial offers were sent to the applicants for the inaugural KCAD MArch cohort. They will start class in fall 2014.
Based on the applications received, the initial cohort will be enrolled in the 2-year MArch. We have a strong and diverse group of prospective students, all of who have (or will have by May) pre-professional architecture degrees. We are still accepting applications for the 2- and 3-year MArch.
At least 3 of the students accepted for this fall are already working in local practices. We encourage you to support them in their decision to continue to be part of our community and have an impact on its future.
“Very unlike the usual” is a phrase we often use to describe the new curriculum. Here’s a 1-minute video that explains the KCAD difference:
Finally, thank you to the many educators and practitioners of AIAGR who have helped shape the program. We started with a blank piece of paper and asked some simple questions: "Where is architecture going?" "What kind of education will best equip our students to get there?" From that we have created a degree that will transform our community well into the future. High-5’s all around!
Brian K Craig, AIA, LEED AP | Director
Graduate Program in Architecture | Kendall College of Art and Design
Center for the Built Environment | Ferris State University